Thursday, March 10, 2011

Katy Trail: my love/hate relationship

I have a love/hate relationship with the Katy Trail. It's by far the best place to run around here. Great path with mile markers every 1/4 mile, with easy access to get on and off the trail. But it is always packed: runners, strollers, dogs, roller bladers, walkers. I love seeing so many people out and about but there are certain things that drive me crazy.

A few pet peeves:
  • People with dogs on retractable leashes with their dogs on the other side of the trails - AH! Your dog should be right next to you, no one should have to attempt to step over the leash!
  • People who are doused in perfume/cologne - it just makes me gag when I run by and smell your musky or floral overwhelming scent!
  • People carrying their pet - seriously. I see this way too much. Generally it's girls who do this. They carry their pets on their hip like a child. I really shouldn't care but I find them really annoying.

Anyway, it's really great that so many people are active so I can overlook my personal issues and keep on running.

Update...

Bikes:

  • I love it when bicyclists give a heads-up on passing. There are so many people/noises you can't always hear a high-speed biker approaching. Wish everyone did it.
  • Parents teaching their kids to ride bikes - it is way too busy on the Katy Trail for this is be safe.
Did I forget anything else?

2 comments:

  1. I've had pretty good luck on the trails. I usually only run on the wide path when I have to, like north of Blackburn where it's the only option, and get irritated when the stroller moms are side-by-side and taking up 3/4 of the width of the trail. I get nervous swinging that far out to pass.

    (Also ignore the name it's posting with this. I'm signed into a work account. It's actually Travis H.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do know a girl got killed on the trail. She was running and was hit by a bicyclist...

    Be careful!

    If you're doing a longer run and have at least 1 other person with you go to White Rock!!

    ReplyDelete