Monday, February 28, 2011

Dallas dining & drinking - 2/28/11

Another week exploring food places around Dallas. Some recent places I tried:

The Blue Fish - A Japanese/Sushi restaurant over on Greenville Ave - across from the Granada Theater (where I was headed for IgniteDallas). I went with some co-workers/friends for a quick drink and sushi. I have to say they have a great happy hour menu - they had several rolls and other appetizers that were around $4. The crab potstickers, salmon roll, california roll and shrimp tempura roll were all pretty good - nothing special, but a great deal.

Quarter Bar/Breadwinners - On McKinney Ave at Hall
Part 1: Quarter Bar and Breadwinners are next door to each other and owned by the same people. Quarter Bar has great drink specials ($2 wells and $2 domestics on Thursdays) and Breadwinners has great food. So my friends and I went to Quarter Bar and ordered off the menu of Breadwinners. I had the Grilled Mahi Sandwich - it was pretty good. I could have just ordered the Mahi - the bun didn't really do anything for me. The side caesar salad was also pretty good.

Part 2: I was meeting some friends for brunch and we were set to meet at Breadwinners at 11:30am on Sunday (I normally don't go to the same place twice in a week, but I'd heard they have amazing brunch). There was a huge crowd waiting outside and we were told there would be a 15 min wait - based on the number of people I assumed it would be closer to 45min, but they were getting people seated. We waited about 20min. It was the best brunch menu I've ever seen. There were at least a dozen things I wanted. I'm not even exaggerating. I'm going to have to go back a few times - and will absolutely be taking visitors here. I decided on the Stuffed Biscuit, one of their weekly specials and WOW - it was fabulous. It was a biscuit that was set on top of "brunch potatoes" the biscuit was overflowing with scrambled eggs filled with bacon, sausage, cheese, veggies and topped with gravy. I only ate half and ate the rest for lunch today - still delicious.
Here's a photo:












Jake's Burger's - A burger spot on McKinney at Boll - My parents came over to help me hang curtains and a few other things and we were looking for a low-key spot on a Saturday evening where we wouldn't have to wait. It was the perfect place - nice enough weather to sit on the patio and people watch on McKinney Ave (my parents were entertained). I got the Flaming Rooster - I know, not a burger but it sounded so good- Grilled chicken, hot mustard, Monterey jack cheese, and fresh pico de gallo. And it was sooooo good. The hot mustard and pico were perfect - both my parents tasted it and agreed it was stellar. My dad had the Jalapeno Bottle Cap Burger and I had a bite - equally delicious. My mom had the caesar salad and said the chicken on it was fabulous but I wasn't interested in trying as I was focusing on scarfing down my chicken sandwich. We split an order of their waffle cut sweet potato fries and Jumpin Jake's fries. The sweet potato fries were topped with brown sugar and cinnamon, which were delicious. But my favorite were Jumpin Jake's fries - they were just seasoned perfectly. Although I have to say, I still think Ketchup (mentioned last week) has the best fries.
My Flaming Rooster:











And fries:


2 comments:

  1. Breadwinners brunch IS SO GOOD. I got stuffed french toast once, mmmm. Expensive though, dates only :)

    You should know, the Jakes original burger (double meat & cheese) is the the same one I stuffed in my purse to sneak into Idle Rich for Clasby's bar golf party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming in to see us. We appreciate the post!

    ReplyDelete