Sunday, February 27, 2011

IgniteDallas

One of the local events I loved in NC was IgniteRaleigh - luckily I moved to Dallas in time for IgniteDallas. I really don't know anyone in Dallas in the social media industry, so I was unsure what to expect but knew it should be a great community event. My friend Tracy and my co-worker Jes came along.

Tracy was perfect to attend the event with - she had a lot of followers and contacts so we connected with some people there that she's known through various networks.

The speakers and presentations were all awesome! My two favorites:
  • What I got rid of today - Dave Weaver (@planboy) spoke on a challenge he's working on - to get rid of something each day for a year. He talked about getting rid of everything from music, DVDs, clothing, his CAR!, and more. We all have so much junk, it's a really cool journey to get rid of things - whether it is junk, or whether it's letting go of something so you can move on.
  • 24 Years, 24 People, 24 Lessons - Mouyyad Abdulhadi (@MouyyadA) talked about how we can learn from the people that are closest to us, rather than celebrities. He went through his circles of family, friends, co-workers and classmates and highlighted what he learned from each. Made me reflect on what I learn from the people I surround myself with.
Looking forward to more IgniteDallas events! I think both Tracy and Jes enjoyed and hopefully will be back for more events too.

A few comments...
  • I really wish it was cheaper - it was $16-something - IgniteRaleigh and IgniteDurham are both free events. I know it depends on sponsorships and venues, but I feel like there would be a better turnout if it wasn't expensive
  • Crowd participation - I recall a lot of crowd interaction at IgniteRaleigh - yelling "Fire it up!" - there wasn't anything like that. I guess it has a lot to do with the hosts and overall vibe?
Regardless, it was all around a great event - thanks to all who organized and the awesome speakers!

4 comments:

  1. oh nice, i have a new blog to follow (the Dave Weaver blog). i love those kinds of challenges... it's true, we all have things we can get rid of. got me thinking, we could get rid of A LOT, and yet we don't even have that much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Added it to my Reader as well. Cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, it actually has inspired me to do that for the whole month of March... see if I can find something to ditch every day... it's going to be tough to let go of some things. i'll probably post like Dave does too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the Ignite NC shout-outs. We <3 you.

    ReplyDelete